font-family: 'Engagement', cursive;

Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Chocolate Cake... What More Can I Say?

I've talked a lot about cake on this blog, and I make no apologies for it.  What nicer thing is there than cake?  They're fun to make, they're delicious, they're always appreciated and they always give the impression that you went to a lot of work.  Those in the know realize that the little bit of extra effort it takes to make a cake from scratch is well worth it.  There's absolutely no comparison between a homemade Devil's Food Cake and one from a box.  And, because I believe this so strongly, I've whipped up a little illustrated recipe card for your enjoyment!  If you wish to print this out on cardstock and add it to that collection of wonderful family favorites...  Don't hesitate!  Know that this is a cake with a history.  It is THE cake in my family.  Coveted by all and made first by my mother, there is no better chocolate cake around.  This is the cake you ask for for your birthday, for Christmas, for the 4th of July...  If there's a celebration, you want this cake and this frosting!

And how about that frosting?  Seafoam Frosting is basically Seven Minute Frosting made with brown, instead of white, sugar.  Sometimes I make 1 1/2 times the recipe, just so there's more left to eat!  It is heavenly!  Not TOO sweet and a perfect foil for the chocolate.

To be fair and honest, I should note that while this is my favorite chocolate cake, it's not the one I make most often.  My go to chocolate cake comes from Hershey and is quicker and easier.  It's also good baked in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted with an amazing pour-over Butterscotch Chocolate Fudge icing...  That will be the NEXT recipe card!  But, for now, I give you the most devilish of Devil's Food Cakes complete with Seafoam Frosting, courtesy of the 1963 McCall's cookbook!


No comments:

Post a Comment