font-family: 'Engagement', cursive;

Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dapper and Dreamy Retro Recipe of the Week... Pineapple Snow

Most families have special foods for special occasions.  I know that holidays are bound to bring out certain dishes in the homes of most of my relatives.  Toffee and fudge, roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding at Christmas; rigatoni (called "rigaboni") for Halloween;  Orange Dreamsicle Salad anytime I can possibly find an excuse; and Salsa Quizza for the Fourth of July.  Easter isn't forgotten, although I'm a few days late for it, and in my family, the holiday is often greeted by a large, cut glass bowl filled with Pineapple Snow.

It's no surprise that family recipes can be an acquired taste.  One man's delicacy is another's nightmare.  My father is known to love eggs pickled in beet juice.  Although I've never tried this Easter "treat", I am getting more and more interested in the idea.  Regardless of their taste, the bright, white eggs soaking in the dark purple liquid are very pretty to look at.

Pineapple Snow is not, fortunately, much of an acquired taste.  Some people may shy away from foods containing gelatin, an item that seems to have lost popularity over the years, and I generally agree.  But, perhaps because of nostalgia or just because I think it tastes so good, Pineapple Snow is a firm favorite.

For years I wondered where the recipe came from.  My grandmother was famous for it, making it on every holiday, including Easter.  Although she died over thirty years ago, it's one of my clearest associations with her.  After my other grandmother passed away, I inherited her ca. 1940's Joy of Cooking.  In it, I found...  Pineapple Snow!  The original recipe is clearer than the one that's been passed along to me, and I have included it here for you to enjoy.  Please note that it is taken directly from Mrs. Rombauer herself...

Pineapple Snow

Soak:

1 tablespoon gelatine

in:
1/4 cup cold water

Heat:

2 cups crushed pineapple, undrained

Stir in:

1 cup sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

When these ingredients are boiling add the soaked gelatine.  Remove the pan from the fire and stir in the gelatine until it is dissolved.  Chill the jelly until it is about to set.  (Here's my little hint...  I put the hot pineapple mixture into a large, lightly oiled glass baking pan.  Once it's almost set, I break the mixture into small bits with a fork...)  Whip until stiff:

2 cups heavy cream

Fold in the pineapple.  Place the pudding in a wet mold (me again...  or a cut glass bowl).  Chill it thoroughly.  Unmold it and serve it with:

Maraschino cherries
(optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment