font-family: 'Engagement', cursive;

Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Finishing What We Start

Once a clean and organized workspace, now
covered with nearly finished projects
for the Dapper and Dreamy Etsy store.
I am a master procrastinator.  This is neither a dapper nor a dreamy characteristic, but I have decided that, starting tomorrow, I will procrastinate no more!  Thankfully, every day has a "tomorrow".

Over the past few weeks, I've started many projects.  They've all been creative and fun and, for the most part, have turned out relatively well.  I've only wasted one yard of pure linen, and have used two packets of iron on transfer paper in an effort to find one that meets my needs (still looking!).  About a ream of watercolor paper has also gone into the recycling bin, and I've had to order three proofs of the book (I keep finding things I want to change).  I've designed about twelve Christmas stockings, a couple of Christmas ornaments, a calendar and some greeting cards.  Some pillows and a Santa mail pouch have also found their way into my design book...  we'll see how far those things go.  Now, I have to actually finish the design to production phase. 


A couple of stockings, including the Jackie Kennedy
"paperdoll" design, and a pillow with the
silhouette of Queen Elizabeth II - part of a pair
that includes the profile of Queen Victoria.  Perfect
to display in 2012, the year of the Queen's Diamond
Jubilee.

I have learned something very valuable, though...  I've finally found my purpose in life.  I really, really, love to create.  To write, design and to make.  I've never felt more in my element than I do now.  Although I've always known that I had this side to me, only recently was I willing to take the chance and try to create a life and living around it.  I'm so glad that I did.

There's still a long, long way to go.  And, I am sure that there will be challenges along the way, but here's a lesson for everyone...  don't procrastinate when it comes to living the life you truly want to live.  It may not be easy, but it will be so much more rewarding.  There's a lot to learn from a bit of struggle and, if you want to know the truth, facing and overcoming your own fears and uncertainty can actually be kind of fun.

A concept for a pillow illustrating our family's
favorite trip...  Still working this one out.  Any
ideas for REALLY good iron-on transfer paper?

No comments:

Post a Comment